TWACS PLC leverages utilities electric distribution network for two-way communication to any meter or other endpoint device connected to the network without the need for additional repeaters or line conditioning equipment. Today, more than 400 utilities use TWACS to collect revenue-critical meter data as well as monitor line conditions, detect faults or outages and monitor power restoration. TWACS provides the performance, features, and tools to implement true comprehensive Smart Grid AMI programs.
- 100% service territory coverage – no stranded assets.
- Data flexibility – 15 minute, 30 minute and 60-minute interval data.
- Exceptional reliability — Interval meter read success rate greater than 99.8%
- Detect faults and outages and monitor and restoration.
- Support for demand response and load control solutions.
- Forward, reverse, secure, and net energy consumption monitoring.
- Implement energy monitoring functionality for distributed generation applications.
- Perform real-time pricing and direct-access settlement plus peak-demand and aggregated billing.
- Service connect/disconnect functionality.
- Highly scalable to provide the mission critical data needed by utilities to meet technical and customer-service expectations.
Aclara’s legacy TWACS users rely of our commitment to backward compatible technology solutions insuring that their infrastructure investment can evolve to meet current and future Smart Grid AMI requirements. If you are using legacy TWACS network equipment and IMT or EMT meter transponders, Aclara has the upgrade program to assist in your migration to our latest enhanced TWACS or eTWACS SCE technology and Universal Meter Transponders (UMT) for your meters. All new TWACS customers receive eTWACS and UMT devices. Legacy customers can align their migration strategies to their own unique budget and manpower considerations.
Learn the benefits of upgrading your TWACS network to eTWACS and the UMT:
- Attain an interval read success rate greater than 99.8%.
- Gain additional comprehensive data and system-wide capacity to further improve efficiency, reduce maintenance and decrease operational costs.
- Realize a 3X throughput improvement over legacy TWACS receivers.
- Improve performance significantly in noisy distribution systems.
- Increase read speeds through concurrent communication on feeder and phase.
- Apply remote upgrades from the Master Station.
- Implement Ethernet and faster serial speeds to substation equipment.
- Ability to implement new features and capabilities such as Fault Detection and Localization.
- Ability to augment features and performance with Synergize RF and Metrum Cellular for evolving Smart Grid applications requiring a hybrid communication infrastructure.